Tuesday, November 3, 2009

You Know, The Ad For The Stuff

I love the commercial for Chef Boyardee where the mom is trying to prevent the dad from saying it has a full serving of vegetables right in front of the kid so he won't stop eating. She keeps randomly going "psssst." to istrct him or banging pots and pans to cover the sound of his talking. And the whole time she has this intense look in her eyes at her husband, just trying to telepathically communicate the "shut up" message. It is awesome. Because as any parent knows, there is nothing worse that accidentally saying something you don't want your kids to hear, either because they love it or hate it. And of course, spelling only works for so long until they learn to still decipher what you are saying (B_A_T_H, anyone?). I personally have given my husband "the look" many times while saying cleverly disguised messages like "maybe later we can go to the place with the thing that the kids like, BUT DON"T SAY IT, because we might not be able to go, but let's plan on it for right now, BUT DON"T SAY IT, just in case because if they hear it then we have to go." Sometimes he gets it, but usually he just stares at me like the dad in the commercial like he has no idea why I've gone crazy or what I'm talking about and perhaps he should check me for stroke. Occassionally, he will say the forbidden word like I didn't just tell him not to say it a hundred times and shoot important sshhh daggers with my eyes, but that happened more in the beginning before we got to be so good at being parents and developed the super secret code I demonstrated above.

No comments: