Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So You Think You Can Go Back To The Old Set?

So, there has been quite a revamp on SYTYCD this year. And I'm not entirely sure I love the changes made. First, they aren't switching up judge everyweek. On one hand I like it because it means Adam Shankman is on everyweek and I think he is funny and also offers good, helpful critiques to the dancers. But on the other hand, it means we don't get to see any of the other choreographers, and they have nice personalities and interesting opinions to add to the commentary as well. I think the best solution would be to continue having Adam as a permanent judge, but still have a rotating 4th judge. There's clearly a chair up there already - which reminds me: drop the whole Paula Abdul shtick. Blergh. Second issue - they have just had everyone dance and then kicked people off the first two weeks - no phone in voting for the bottom two couples. This satisfied my sense of immediate gratification since we didn't have to wait until the next night to see who was leaving. It also spared us sitting through the interminable musical guests on the results shows who are always terrible. But it also kind of took the whole point of the show away. If we don't even get to vote on who we like dleast, then just go ahead and pick a winner right now and just make it a dnace exhibition show rather than a contest. Thankfully this week it is going back to voting and the regular format. The third issue is the new stage. I absolutely HATE it. The screen behind the dancers is really distracting, and the neon lights on the sides look like some tacky Vegas review. Please, please, please bring back the old, round stage with the staircase! Watching the show on this new stage is really awful, and it is totally sapping my interest in the show. What do you think?

update 11/17/09- after watching tonight's show I have decided the biggest problem with the stage is that it is way too big for two dancers. No matter how great the dance, they cannot fill the stage and it makes the whole piece suffer. My husband says it looks like amateur night at the Apollo.

3 comments:

BBL Jr said...

I thought the dancers in the last group were phenomenal. i am distinctly underwhelmed this time, at least so far.

gellybelly said...

I think they used the non-voting format for the first two weeks because of the World Series. They had no choice because they were limited to a once a week show. I'll have to pay closer attention to the stage and definitely hope that the guest talent this year doesn't suck!!

lonek8 said...

I have also been underwhelmed. I think having two seasons so close together was a mistake. The choreographers, judges, even dancers just don't seem as in to it. I'm blaming the stage