Friday, February 22, 2008

Puff-tastic

Several months ago I was looking through a catalog and I saw this weird pan for making pancake puffs. I thought to myself “who would want that?” and moved on. Then I began seeing commercials for the same kind of pan – apparently while I’ve been cooped up in my house with my kids, the sensation of pancakes baked into golf ball sized puffs has been sweeping the nation. Who knew? Now, in theory this sounds kind of good – especially the ones that they fill with pudding or whip cream, but somehow the commercial fails to make them look at all appetizing. A pyramid of spherical pancakes (looking like doughnut holes, basically) with syrup poured all over them just doesn’t look that good. And to be honest, I’m not sure why this isn’t more appealing to me – I love sweets and carbs so this should get me salivating like a starving pit bull. But it doesn’t. And does anyone else think that flipping them with the aid of a wooden skewer isn’t as easy as it appears? I can barely flip flat pancakes with a spatula, so I’m rabidly skeptical that one prong is going to grab onto half cooked batter and flip it over easy as pie. But what do I know – I thought the whole idea of globular pancakes was stupid in the first place.

No comments: