Wednesday, February 20, 2008

American Idol: The Boys

So far I am not impressed. What a bunch of uncharismatic (with a few exceptions) and unattractive (with even fewer exceptions) bozos. And why are we starting the voting off with a 60’s night? Ugh. Can we please get to know the contestants a little before we cripple them with lame arrangements of outdated songs? There is definitely some strong music that came out of the 60’s but they did their best to make us forget that last night. Taking some of those classics and making them relevant to today’s music should have been fun. Instead it was like a 60’s compilation for the geriatric dentist who thinks elevator music is too raucous. Where was the rock and roll? I want to watch a relevant singing competition – not join some flower power love in. What are we protesting – catchy beats? Booooooooring! The one contestant who broke every pattern was Michael Johns. He delivered a killer rendition of the Doors, was charming without being obnoxious and he has that Australian accent. Awesome. I could barely stand to watch the first few performances. That is until “The Hair” came on. Then I was transfixed by the horror. Okay, to be fair there were some pretty atrocious ‘dos on some of the guys. Garrett, you are a 17 year old contestant on a modern singing competition, not a 45 year old literature professor about to lose his tenure for hitting on his students. Get a haircut. And I won’t even comment on Jason Castro because dread locks on a white guy are the number one signifier of being a hopeless loser who is beyond all help and will probably die surrounded by black light posters and covered in lice. And it’s a shame because he was actually pretty good and I liked that he played a guitar. And he did look surprisingly clean. But dreads are a deal breaker for me. So you can see that the competition is fierce for worst hair, but I am anointing a winner: David Cook. And I have a little message for him. Attention David Cook: you are not fooling anyone – we can tell you are balding. We can detect the receding hairline from 100 yards without even needing a stiff breeze for proof. It is obvious enough that I would seriously doubt you are anywhere near 25 if I didn’t have friends who had the same problem at a similar early age. I’m glad you got rid of the weird red streak you had during auditions, but your work is not done. Trust me, copying Zac Efron’s haircut is not the answer (that goes for you too, Danny and Colton). In fact, copying anything of Zac Efron’s is NEVER the answer. Please take a page out of Michael Bolton’s book (never thought you’d hear someone say that did ya?)- long hair + balding = total loser. Close cut hair = decent singer who barely looks like he is balding. Go with it. I don’t know if this message will reach you in time (your performance kind of blew), but if you have the chance to continue on in the competition, seriously, get some clippers. Heck, do it even if they kick you off – after all you’re going to have to keep walking around where people have to look at you. David Archuleta you were good – you are very cute and your shyness / nervousness is charming but you are also very Broadway. For your sake I hope they make a sequel to Hairspray real soon. I also enjoyed Danny Noriega’s performance. Elvis is hard to pull of and I felt he did it. And yes, Danny, you do look like Jessica Alba. But you are not actually her. Lose the skinny jeans – I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t have gotten a “grotesque” from Simon if you were wearing men’s pants. Everybody else was blah, blah, blah. The girls better bring it tonight or I’m going to have to switch over to Biggest Loser.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, this is auntie. They have screwed up the comment deal so I have to figure that out. Now, to the important stuff. Are you crazy? Archuleta was the best by a mile...a natural. Danny/Jessica was horrible and needs to go. The aussie was a BIG disappointment...he can do better. That Colton guy was stinko, too. Castro was cool, but I agree the dreds have to go. Otherwise, total yawn. Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "relevant" to today's music. The whole Idol experience is completely irrelevant to music. Entertaining, perhaps, but relevant? Never.

lonek8 said...

okay - I will admit that my assessments of the Aussie and Danny were colored by my excitement that someone was actually doing an uptempo song. Too many slow, muzak arrangements for my taste. But I stand by my opinions - they can both do better but I still enjoyed their performances. And Archuleta is extremely talented - I never meant to imply otherwise. But there is a difference between popstar and musical theater, and right now he's treading the wrong side of that line. As his confidence rises I think that will go away. As for relevance - you don't think that Carie Underwood's being one of teh most successful pop/country crossover artists is relevant to today's music scene? Maybe the ultimate result of American Idol is the spectacle of the country's biggest popularity contest, but if the contestants want to have actualy careers a la Miss Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, instead of getting dropped by the record labels like Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard, then they sure as hell need to find a way to be relevant.

Anonymous said...

(auntie again) I guess I don't think pop stardom is the equivalent of relevance. As it happens, I like both Clarkson and Underwood, but I don't consider either to be a musical force. Songwriters? not really Musicians? nope Innovators? unuh Entertainers? No doubt. If relevant means popular, or danceble, or catchy then ok. But Elvis, The Beatles, U-2, Nirvahna,
Public Enemy, and the like were relevant because they were agents for change in music. Everybody say amen!