Thursday, February 21, 2008

American Idol: The Girls

Here’s a quick note on how I compiled this post. I watched the show and took notes on each contestant. Then, as I was finishing up and ready to post I went back and re-read what I had written. And there were several girls who I couldn’t remember even though I had seen them only an hour before. Some of these girls had really good reviews, but I figured that if their performances were so unmemorable that I couldn’t retain them for even a short while they weren’t worth remarking on here. Here are the ones that stuck with me:
Kristy Lee Cook- She needs styling more than anything. She is a pretty girl, but she still needs to dress it up a little. A tank top and ripped jeans aren’t going to cut it for long in this competition. Her performance was just okay – I really liked her from the auditions so I hope she gets better next week.
Amanda Overmyer – I love her whiskey voice and her biker chic attitude. That said, she was not very good last night. Bad song choice, and frankly, I don’t know if she can ever be versatile enough to get very far. But I hope she can.
Amy Davis – terrible. Bad song, bad performance, bad jeans. But she’s beautiful so she’ll probably make it through to next week.
Brooke White – this girl was one of my favorites from the auditions, and I thought she gave a good performance. The singing part was a little iffy, but she moved around and generally looked pretty comfortable on stage.
Alexandrea Lushington – actually managed to pull off high waisted trousers with suspenders and a crazy airbrushed t shirt. Not sure how she did that. I really like that she chose Blood Sweat and Tears too, and she really funked it up at the end. Good job.
Asia’h Epperson - I like her. I cried when she said her dad died right before the auditions, and I thought she did really well last night. And I know it’s not her fault, but I’m not sure I can get past that ‘h in her name. It’s just so unnecessary.
Syesha Mercado – She might have given a good performance. I couldn’t tell because the song was horrible.
Carly Smithson – Excellent performance even though I didn’t like the song. She can really sing, she has a great Irish accent, and she is so grateful to be on the show. The perfect mix in my opinion.

All in all the girls were tons better than the guys – and so much more attractive! But I do have one major note for them: Girls, please don’t wear skinny jeans anymore. I know they are very fashionable right now, and yes I admit I have a pair myself. But there usage to when they are tucked into boots. Because when they aren’t tucked into boots they make my behind look like the broadside of a barn. Despite the name, skinny jeans do not make you look skinny – they make you look fat. I will reapeat that in case you missed it: skinny jeans make you look FAT (no doubt it is worse when you are on tv since that supposedly adds 10 lbs). Even when you aren’t overweight at all (and most of you aren’t), if you have any curve to your booty at all (and most of you do) you will not look good in skinny pants (this includes leggings, which really should never be worn outside the house anyway). So repeat after me: bootcut jeans. Bootcut jeans. Everyone, no matter what size, looks good in bootcut jeans. Okay lecture over. You may now all head straight to the mall.

1 comment:

BBL Jr said...

The 3 or 4 or 27 blond girls on the show are all very attractive, all can sing and seem marketable, but I cannot tell them apart. They should start a new dixie chix type group because they are going to so diffuse the vote that a couple of them will be gone before they should be.
it also seems like all those blond girls are from Texas and watching them I was reminded of an old song lyric from Willis Alan Ramsay "Those Dallas women stand'in up, beat the others laying down."