Monday, December 3, 2007

We Don't Need Your Charity

'Tis the season to be give, and also for countless commercials begging your donations and generosity for others. I firmly believe in helping out the less fortunate in any way possible, but some of these so called charities have gotten me a little peeved. I hear all kinds of commercials asking for donations of new toys or clothes or whatever, and to me this seems very greedy and more than a little tacky. I realize the desire to have new things, but come on people - this is charity. It might seem a little harsh, but in my opinion people in the position to need charity should be happy to have whatever they get - beggars can't be choosers as the saying goes. Now, this doesn't mean that they should get worn out or ruined things, but there are plenty of barel used toys and clothes out there that have a lot of life left in them and could use a new home and someone to love them. Forcing people to buy brand new items for donation is just feeding our already over-consuming culture and creating more and more garbage and cast off items. I hate throwing things out, and I end up filling my house because there are practically no places to donate things to anymore - earlier this year I tried to give some practically brand new window blinds to a thrift store and they wouldn't take them because they were used. Um, hello - thrift store! I will happily donate brand new food items (obviously an area where used isn't feasible), but beyond that I will only patronize charities like the Salvation Army or Goodwill whose goal is to minimize waste as well has helping the needy.
some charities who will take donations of used items:
The Salvation Army
Goodwill Industries
Vietnam Veterans of America
Soles4souls

3 comments:

GellyBelly said...

Praise the Lord and hail Mary! My sentiments exactly. You grew up wearing gently used clothing and playing with gently used toys and I think we were all the better for it. You had everything you needed and the money we saved allowed us to take some pretty awesome vacations. As you know, I am a diehard scavenger and recycler and like to think that I have tread very lightly on this old earth of ours. Keep up the good work.

auntie said...

Though the Salvation Army doesn't take office furniture, it referred me to a charity that would. Habitat for Humanity will accept some things, as well. For example, I donated some used shutters and hinges. I bet it would have gladly accepted your blinds. Also, there are many groups that collect used clothing and small household goods on a regular basis. Most are affiliatied with churches or religious groups. Often, homeless shelters will accept used clothing, blankets, and bedding. The point is, there are agencies and organizations out there who are anxious for these types of contributions. I'm with you...don't trash it, find someone who could use it.

lonek8 said...

I am also at a disadvantage because I live in such a small community - there are limited outlets for my donations. In a larger area if someone rejected my donations I could just find another place, but there is only one donation center (clothes only) and one thrift store (that clearly doen't understand the definition of thriftstore). The Salvation Army doesn't even come up here to collect!