Monday, December 17, 2007

I Am Legend

I went to see I Am Legend expecting a fun diversion for a couple of hours with maybe a few decent thrills thrown in. I was totally unprepared for the way it affected me. This is not the most fabulous movie ever, even though it is good, but it really struck a cord with me for some reason. It is probably just lingering pregnancy hormons, but I found myself unable to shake the feeling of disconnection the movie left me with. I have been a fan of Will Smith for a very long time and I think he was absolutely incredible in this movie. He does an amazing job of portraying not only the lonliness of his situation, but also very subtly expressing a tightly wrapped desperation and increasing loss of sanity as well. The range of emotions he manages to reveal while keeping his face a mask of tightly held self control when faced with the loss of his best friend and only companion is something to see. I'm sure most people will not be affected by this movie the way I was, but I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a fun diversion for a few hours as well as some of Will Smith's best work.

No comments: