Saturday, December 1, 2007

Aquadots

Several weeks ago there was a recall for a toy called Aquadots. Apparently, when the small beads that make up this toy are ingested they turn into GHB - better known as the date rape drug. That's something isn't it? You give your kids something new to play with and suddenly they are zombies lying on the floor (I do have to admit though that this is sort of appealing in terms of long car rides - assuming of course you could manage it without an actual coma and risk of seizure). Now, a recall is absolutely necessary in this case, but I can't help thinking that any toy with tiny little beads should only be played with by kids who have outgrown the urge to put things in their mouths anyway. In fact, the packaging is labeled 4+ years, and of course the first case of a child being harmed after ingesting the beads was a 20 month old. I have a 20 month old and I would never knowingly let her play with any type of little beads, toxic or not, because she will undoubtedly put them in her mouth and I wouldn't want her to choke. So while I think whoever was watching that poor child was being somewhat negligent by letting them play with a toy that is inappropriate (here Tommy, play with this choking hazard), I guess I also have to thank them for bringing the toxicity of this toy to light. Hopefully their child recovers and no more children are harmed.

Amendment:
I wanted to add that I wonder how many creepy perverts out there heard about the recall and rushed out to get their hands on some free GHB for their personal use. I hope none, but you never know.

No comments: