Friday, May 30, 2008

SYTYCD Blew It Big Time

I am extremely disappointed with SYTYCD last night. The judges treatment and subsequent dismissal of Anthony Bryant is absolutely inexcusable and has really cost me some interest in this program. The kid graduated from Juliard in three years for Christ sakes! To not put him through to Vegas is a travesty, and frankly I feel it undermines their contention that they are looking for exceptional dancers. I understand not wanting to make the competition all about technique - that would really punish all of the street dancers who are genuinely talented but haven't had formal training. But to then ignore someone who is pretty much technically perfect because he lacks a "spark" of performance is offensive. I agree that Anthony was not the most dynamic in terms of performance quality - I would most likely not advance him into the top twenty. But to not even let him get past the first round - and in fact to force him to participate in the choreography part - was ridiculous, and I have to believe that there is some other prejudice working against him. I get that dancing with the ribbon season one was a mistake. I was a rhythmic gymnast for 10 years and even I wouldn't use a ribbon in an audtion of this type. But the judges immediate reaction to him was completely disrespectful and indicative of a complete refusal to give him a chance. Immediately Mary was pointing out his outfit and not even watching him, and Nigel rected to a small loss of balance on his somersault with the same disgust typically reserved for the total losers who can't do anything at all. As someone with a background in dance, I can usually see the judges points on most dancers, and agree with them. But this was a huge mistake. They were rude and innappropriate towards this dancer, and failed in their jobs to select dancers who are the most talented and versatile. If they are willing to cut slack for b boys who don't know a rond de jamabe from a grand jete, then they should also allow the people who do a little leeway on performance characterization. I will most likely continue to watch this show because I do love dance, but I will do so with great distaste for the judges who no longer deserve my respect.

3 comments:

gail said...

I so agree with you!! I was very dismayed by their reaction to him. What about Danny last year, who showed very little personality and a lot of snobbishness until the very end of the competition. He was technically fabulous, so they excused his "holier than thou" aura. Why is Anthony any different? Could it be that he emanates more "gayness"? It's very rude to dismiss him just because of that quality as well. He absolutely should have been given a chance in Vegas.

Jessamyn said...

I have to disagree. Danny did have a very irritating snobby quality, but he also had very beautiful lines and a centered grace that hooked the eye. Anthony might have been technically highly competent, but to me it was the dance equivalent of a child violin prodigy: all speed and intonation, no musicality. I found him slightly painful to watch, to be honest. And I think that's what the judges were responding to.

lonek8 said...

That is an excellent assessment of his talent and what he was lacking - I agree completely, and that is why Anthony should definitely not have advanced beyond the Vegas round. But to not even send him was unjustly punishing in my opinion - and I think probably served to confuse a lot of veiwers who aren't as knowledgable about dance and just saw someone completing amazing leaps and other moves. If I wasn't a dancer familiar with performing I think I would have been totally astounded at why he wasn't put through - and it doesn't serve the show to alienate veiwers who don't know anything about dance. The judges would have done a better job to let him through and then dismiss him later on and attempt to educate the audience about why he wasn't good enough. And despite his shortcomings, they were extremely rude in how they handled it, which is never acceptable.