Monday, May 19, 2008

And On The Ninth Day, The Aliens Landed

This weekend while watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on the SciFi channel I saw a commercial for an album of the "ultimate power ballads of the Christian faith." At first I thought this was sort of a strange forum for such an ad; I was hung up on the science part of the title - thinking that viewers with a deep interest in science aren't likely to also be staunch Christians (although I supposed that doesn't preclude an interest in Christian rock). Once I figured in the fiction part though I realized that it actually fits quite nicely. I mean, when you boil it down to its basic elements, the whole Creationism thing is a pretty great work of science fiction, and people that love to believe in alternate universes might be exactly the kind of people who want to believe the universe can be created in seven days. Now obviously Im not suggesting that Christians are all idiots who refuse to believe any sort of scientific evidence (after all, they do call it creation SCIENCE), or that they can't also be interested in the natural world, but I'm interested to see if there are many Christian rock albums being advertised on the Discovery Channel.

No comments: