Monday, January 28, 2008

Read It Again, Sam

I don't understand why so many people think reading books over again is weird, or stupid. Every time it gets mentioned that I re-read my favorite books, I get looks like I am a crazy person and this just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, people watch their favorite movies over and over, why are books different? Entertainment is entertainment, in my mind; regardless of the format, if something is enjoyable I want to be able to continue to take pleasure from it on future occasions. It isn't all about finding out what happens - the whole experience should be fun. By the way, I like reruns of my favorite shows too!

3 comments:

auntie said...

I reread books and rewatch movies repeatedly. I think that on first reading/viewing, I want to know what happens. On second reading/viewing, I can go more slowly and enjoy the foreshadowing, the character development, the structure, and the subtleties that I missed the first (or second) time. Also, as I grow older, I appreciate things that I didn't before, so my take on a book or movie may change over time. So I'm with you...reread on!

Drumski said...

I agree. Everytime I read Tolkien's trilogy it is better than the last.

BBL Jr said...

I am a long time rereader. I find as I get older rereading is even better since I may not remember I have even read it before!