Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Law and Slapstick

I watch a lot of the USA network, and they have recently started airing reruns of NCIS. This is not a show I have seen before, and I don't really plan to watch it, but it is in the vein of the other procedurals I like so I'm sure I would ejoy it if I gave it a chance. Anyway, what I want to focus on is the ads that ran for this show advertising its presence on USA. It was kind of a funny commercial - stating all the things NCIS has that other similar shows don't: more intials, more Mark Harmon, etc. But the one that struck me the most was: "the show with more slaps upside the head." This of course was accompanied by a montage of characters getting whacked upside their heads. Okay, now I get it, it is tv. And yes, the shows on tv do not have to be totally realistic or based in reality. But typically aren't procedurals supposed to be closer than other programs? I find it very unprofessional for those people - who are supposed to be in law enforcement, right? - to go around hitting each other like cartoon characters. Silly. This trait most likely does not affect the show in any way, and probably isn't all that obvious when not edited together, but I found the inclusion of "slaps upside the head" in the selling points to be very amusing and worth comment.

No comments: