Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Modern Family

Because it was mentioned in the comments of this post, I wanted to talk about Modern Family. Do I think it is funny? Yes. Do I enjoy every episode and the cast of characters? Fo shizzle. Do I think it is the revolutionary, earth shattering revival of the sitcom? I don't know about that.

I have to say that I really don't get all the hoopla surrounding Modern Family. I keep seeing all of these reviews and articles and whatnot declaring it the best sitcom in ages and it is changing the face of television and on and on, and I can't help but think "really?" I mean, don't get me wrong - I really like the show. I think it is great, and funny and everyone on it is fantastic and I hope it succeeds and lasts a good long time. But is it really that dramatic a departure from other shows? Is it really singlehandedly reviving the sitcom?

I don't know. I don't watch that many sitcoms so I don't know if this one is drastically (little, yellow) different and better (hahaha I am such a dork). Maybe everything else that has come out recently has blown. Maybe NOTHING in the sitcom genre has come out recently. I jsut don't know.

I do know that comparing this to something like Cheers or Seinfeld or Friends, or any of the other few and might sitcoms that manage to retain their humor and heart and appeal years and decades later seems a bit premature. Even in the beginning those probably didn't seem like the yardsticks all future shows would be measured against.

But who knows?

I suppose the fact that it is the ONLY sitcom I watch (and my DVR tapes over 40 shows a week *cringe*) says enough. Time will tell.

No comments: