Wednesday, February 24, 2010

American Idol - The Boys

Well, last night certainly wasn't very good - no clear winners and or truly stand out performances. I think any front runners are currently leading the pack based on personality, looks and or previous audition performances; last night was kind of a bust. So let's hope the boys do a little better, shall we? My run down:

Todrick Hall - I love that this guy was a dancer and just kind of thought "hey, I'll audition for American idol" and here he is. That's just raw talent right there. Plus, his gray eyes are SO super cool - lady killer for sure. That being said, his performance was meh. Kind of a neat bluesy/R&B arrangement of Since You Been Gone (which is not to say I really liked it since I HATE R&B), but his pitch was iffy and the arrangement really didn't do much to emphasize any vocal strengths. So that doesn't help.

Aaron Kelly - This little guy is just so cute - he's like some puppy you see at the shelter and just have to take home with you. He's so young but he can really sing. And he owned the stage much better tonight. There was no sign of the intense nerves that made him forget the lyrics Hollywood week. He seemed fully confident and in control of his voice. Imagine how good he'll get if he stays around a few weeks.

Jermaine Sellers - was he quiet on anyone else's tv? I could barely hear this guy, even when I jacked up the volume on my set (I could hear all the previous guys fine). So, with my volume issues I can't be sure, but he seemed super screechy to me. I also got a bad "I'm such hot shit" vibe off him which put me on edge, and of course, remember how I said I hate R&B? Yeah. So I didn't like that song AT ALL.

Tim Urban - I don't think I've ever seen this guy before tonight - which is usually the kiss of death in a vote driven show like this (oh, I see from Simon's comments that he was originally not out through - I missed his intro, so that explains that). However, he is probably dreamy enough to the teen audience to squeak through. And he had such an earnest look on his face whenever he looked right in the camera - it was actually kind of funny. Like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. And I didn't think he was nearly as bad as the judges seemed to, althought it certainly wasn't awesome.

Joe Munoz - Good performance, nice steady tone and consistently on pitch. And yet I had to rewind to watch it twice bceause the first time I totally wasn't paying attention. And the second time I got sucked back into the computer again. So not great in terms of focus grabbing. Bad sign for garnering votes.

Tyler Grady - This guy is oushing the whole 70's thing WAY too far. I get it. Stuff was cool then. I like Hazed and Confused too. But he better rejoin this century toot sweet or the whole one trick pony act is going to kill him. He looks like he's in perpetual period costume, and while fashion recycles with the best of them, right now we are in a revamp of the 80's. There is a lot to be said about coming across as current in terms of winning this contest, and he has none of that. If he figures out how to rework the 70's style and music in terms 2010, then he could be a really strong contender.

Lee Dewyze - Bad arrangement, bad vocals, boring performance. Honestly watching this the only thought through my head was "he's going home." Ouch. But yay that he's from Chicago! (wow, Simon loved it. Interesting)

John Park - From Northbrook, IL - practically my parent's backyard! This guy does NOT look like hs voice at all. Is that because he's Asian? I can't think of any Asian singers, so I think that could be what's weird. But he is really good - I think he did a great job tonight - really solid performance.

Michael Lynche - How can you not love this guy? He seems like a giant teddy bear, I just want to hug him. And the whole baby girl born during auditions thing is just too cute. I just really like how authentic and genuine he seems at all times - there is no perception of working the media machine at all and that's so refreshing. and of course, he sings pretty darn good too.

Alex Lambert - Mullet alert! And he definitely proves that no matter how cute you are otherwise, you will still look terrible in a mullet. Started out pretty rough - I though, oh, here I am criticizing this guy's hair when he's totally sucking on stage too. But he got a little better. on pitch at least, which is always nicer to listen to. But still not that good. Lacking in charisma onstage big time.

Casey James - I think short of throwing up onstage or leaping into a racist rant this guy is safe. He's just too good looking, his singing almost doesn't even matter. The fact that he sings well is just icing on the himbo. Although I do have to request that he go back to the ponytail - WAY better.

Andrew Garcia - Loved the dweeby bookworm vibe he had going with his thick glasses, and how he just accompanied himself on the guitar instead of having the full band cover whether or not he could really play. He sounded pretty good too I thought. Although I think he's going to have a hard time ever living up to his cover of Straight Up from Hollywood week (which totally rocked). But I still think he's safe this week.

Okay, that's it for this week. And maybe this whole season who knows? I tend to lose interest and drift away which affects how well I can write about any given subject. But only a little. HA!

No comments: