Tuesday, February 23, 2010

American Idol- The Girls

First thing I want to say about American Idol this season is that I don't even notice Paula is gone. I don't know if that means I never really liked her as much as I thought, or that she wasn't really an important part of the show, that they've just done a great job transistioning to new judges and increasing focus on Kara which I think works, or that the show is just an entity in itself and no one person's presence can change it. Whatever. I just know that I don't even notice it's been changed (and I expected to at least a little), which is a great sign that the right decision was made. And of course, I LOOOOOVE Ellen DeGeneres in all instances so that doesn't hurt.

Paige Miles - Didn't sound too good - especially after that video of her final performance in Hollywood week. She also has some really bad pale lipstick on, and her hair looks weird and flat and stringy. Meh. Also, if you're going to get sewn into an outfit, at least pick something flattering.

Ashley Rodriguez - Awful awful awful song. Awful, semi on-tune-ish rendition. Awful, too tight, too casual white t-shirt. Other than that I kind of like her. Which I guess says something about her "it" factor. Cause I really hated her performance.

Janell Wheeler - Had some iffy moments, but she did alright. And damn, were her pants tight! Some sort of weird, shiny, jeans/lycra combo thing that was just good (Although at least she had the legs to pull them off). But she definitely had a rough time - very inconsistent with pitch.

Lilly Scott - Quirky, in a really nice accessible way. And while I didn't totally love her song, at one point I got chills. And that is never a bad sign.

Katelyn Epperley - During her performance I was mainly thinking "why did they frizz out her pretty curly hair like it's the 80's and FrizzEase hasn't been invented yet?" So I don't know what that says about her singing. It seemed fine but was overshadowed by the poor styling.

Haeley Vaughn - This girl sufferes from some severe prejudice on my part because I don't like her teeth. Or the way her name is spelled. And yes, these are irrelevant, irrational, stupid things, but they totally bug me for some reason. That said, she can really sing, and I liked her red guitar, although her outfit was too juvenile - like a 5 year old.

Lacey Brown - Jeez, tonight is really sucking. I think this girl is cute (I love anyone in a short funky hairstyle) and has a neat, unique voice. But she was not veyr good tonight, just like the last six before her weren't very good. Where is the showstopping performance of the night?

Michelle Delamor - Oh. here it is. Okay, maybe not showstopping, but pretty darn good. Very pretty girl, normalish looking outfit, good song with a decent arrangement, and strong solid vocals without any off notes. Well done. Finally

Didi Benami - I love this girl. I loved the song by Kara that she sang at Hollywood week (wish someone would record THAT), and I love the song she sang tonight. It was a perfect song for her, she sang it beautifully, and her quirky macrame vest somehow managed to be a) and macrame vest, and b) flattering. Wicked good.

Siobhan Magnus - Can I just say that I totally love the name Siobhan? So exotic and pretty, but then you have the whole SYobHan pronounciation issue (sounds like Shavonne people) which is why none of my kids were given a moniker such as this. Ah, thoes tricky Celtic names. That being said, she sang beautifully, even though I don't really like that song at all. Her hairdo needed work though.

Crystal Bowersox - Oh how I wish this girl didn't have dreadlocks. So pretty, so talented, with such a cute little boy. but dreadlocks make me think of bugs crawling around on my scalp. Dirty dirty dirty, ick.

Katie Stevens - I can't believe she's only 16 (from her voice, the dancing and outfit was junior prom all the way). But she was great vocally.

Ok, that's my wrap up on the girls. Tune in tomorrow for the boys. And then I'll probably never say another thing about this season cause, gosh, this was a lot of work!

No comments: