Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Ad Wrap Up

So, I had big plans this year. A full wrap up of all the best and worst Superbowl commercials, with video links for the top contenders. But then the day approached, and you know what? I just really didn't care. Nothing was awesome. Nothing was totally atrocious (actually not true, this was horrific). But basically, nothing at the end of the day was worth my precious attention and the effort it would take to write about it. So I'll just leave you with a few impressions*:

Bud light had the usual stupid laughs (and of course the obligatory Budweiser Clydesdales ad that made me tear up - I am a pathetic sap), although Doritos gave them a run for their money. Both companies did a decent job with their spots, but I don't think the entire first quarter had ads by anyone else and it got really annoying seeing the same two things over and over. Yeah. We get it, beer and chips. wheee. Also, Budlight? Your Lost spoof ad was funny - people choosing beer over rescue, haha - but shouldn't it have aired like, 5 years ago? Right after they crashed and everyone was all still into the plane crash scenario and not in the time travel, topsy turvy we've been rescued or not or whatever final season? Yeah. I thought so.

I did like the Bridgestone commerical where three guys rush towards the ocean with a killer whale in the car, and do some fancy manuevering to fling it off end of dock. but it was also so transparently "hey The Hangover was popular, let's do an ad like that" that it took away some of the funny. And of course, did nothing to sell tires, but that isn't really the point of Superbowl ads, is it?

The Dove men ad was amusing (although it ripped off Anita Renfro), and it got my husband to say "oooh, I may have to try that." So I call that good advertising.

The Man's Last Stand commercial was also greatness. I will watch your vampire tv shows with you - haha!

The CareerBuilder.com commercial about casual fridays = funny. The Dockers "I wear no pants" ad = not funny. Unless it was a comment on the infantilizing of the country and people who never want to "wear the pants" and take responsibility for themselves. in which case it was a very witty and biting social commentary. But still, not funny.

Loved the flotv commercial injury report about "Jason" and how his girlfriend removed his spine. Change out of that skirt Jason- very amusing. Also, a live mobile television doohicky? I want.

In the WTF category I definitely have to award Carmax and their dramatically smart animals. What was going on there? As runner up I nominate the fiddling Beaver for Monster.com . Why a beaver?

As for CBS- I think their commercials were actually pretty good. The one where the "NCIS head slap" is replacing the handshake was pretty amusing (love the bride slapping granny). But the one that got my attention the most (obviously) was the ad for The Late Show featuring Oprah, David Letterman and Jay Leno all sitting on a couch together. I'm sure the intent was to show no hard feelings or grudges or whatever, but I thought it was in very bad taste for Leno to participate in that ad. Here's a tip - when you've just gotten hundreds of people FIRED so your spoiled ass can have your old job back, advertising for the competitor is pretty tacky.

My only other comment about the night (because let's face it, I didn't really watch the game at all) was the halftime performance by The Who. Because I'm pretty sure Nigel Tufnel was playing the drums. And I find this surprising not only because he was a guitarist, but you’d expect with his band's history that he’d stay away from drums.


*no, I'm not touching the whole Tim Tebow commercial controversy. To be honest, the whole ad was like "that's it? Really. This is the super controversial pro-life ad? Huh." But I guess the intial discussion and attention and controversy was enough to serve their point and get their message out there. Whatever. I don't argue with people too close minded to listen.

1 comment:

gellybelly said...

thanks for this entry. I know that the Super Bowl commercials are supposed to be the best, but I don't want to watch football for hours in order to see them! I enjoyed watching them here with your splendid commentary!