Monday, January 11, 2010

2010 Reading List

Why hello, there! Thought I forgot about you didn't ya? No, that could never happen! I've just been lacking topics, but hopefully with the return of new shows will come new commercials and movies to see and this blog will be bursting at the seams with entries! Here's one now:

in 2009 I read 50 books. And granted, I had three kids to take care of (totally alone for the first 6 months), as well as moving part way across the country, but considering how many of those books were super fast breeze reads, it is a pretty lame number. I had plenty of time to watch rerun tv and mass around online, so there should have been more books on that list. So this year I'm trying to set a goal of reading 100 books. That may prove way too ambitious given my schedule (and I'm already behind, haha), but I'm going to give it a go.

I've already read The Gathering Storm by Brandon Sanderson continuing Robert Jordan's work), which at almost 800 pages is a pretty good start.

Here's what I have stacked up to read next (not necessarily in this order):

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
The Kingdoms of Thorne and Bone (a four book series) - Greg Keyes
Winterbirth (and sequel, which I can't remember the title of) - Brian Ruckley
about 5-7 various other random thriller books

I have a bunch more on my list that I haven't gotten yet. Any suggestions on what I should add?

What are you reading?

7 comments:

Lsquared said...

I've read the first 4 on your list and agree that they are worth reading. I recently read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (or something like that) and loved it. Books I read and enjoyed last year include People of the Book, Bone by Bone, Find Me, one of the Inspector Gamache books by Louise Penny, I think, a Charlie Huston book the name of which I can't recall, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Match, The Blind Side, the latest in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, ...crud, I can't remember.

Unknown said...

now you see why I keep a list!

gellybelly said...

OMG, for the first time ever, I have actually read a book you haven't yet gotten to! The Lovely Bones - read it years ago and did enjoy very much. Thanks for keeping a list. I am always looking for suggestions.

holly said...

The Glass Castle is spectacular. Secret Life of the Bees is a good book I just discovered.

Unknown said...

Best book i've read in years: Unaccustomed Earth. As a mommy who often feels 'out of place', it's unbelievable. Hope you get a chance to read it.

lonek8 said...

thanks for the recommendation - I'll add it to the list

Paige said...

I read nonstop. But I mostly like garbage. Not Harlequin garbage, but best seller stuff--James Patterson, stuff like that. I like a thriller/mystery book.

I always end up ashamed of myself when I try to read something that is good for me. I did like the Lovely Bones though--and the Guernsey book was okay