Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Avatar


I'm not even sure where to begin with in my review of this movie. Simply put, it was probably the most impressive, engaging, inventive pieces of entertainment I have ever seen. It was tremendous, and if you don't go see it you are missing out on something that will forever change the future of movies.

At the heart, Avatar is a great story. A crippled marine, given a chance to walk again through the use of an alien body (or avatar). One species, trying to overtake another in a perverted sense of entitlement and neverending greed. Another species, trying to live their lives and protect their homes. Emotional, exciting, heroic, eye opening - Avatar is a tale that will stay with you long after the credits roll.

But what about the blue people?

Well, I'll be honest, one thing I was really concerned about was watching a movie that was entirely CGI. I was very interested in seeing the results of this massive undertaking, but I was pretty sure that it would be vaguely uncomfortable the entire time, watching digitally rendered characters.

I didn't even notice.

Think about that. Think about watching an almost three hour movie (you won't notice the length either unless you drink an super large Coke), that contains no real locations or sets, and only a few human characters. Almost everything in this movie is created digitally, from the main characters to the landscapes and animals. And NOT EVEN NOTICING.

The true wonder of Avatar is that the CGI is so perfectly rendered, the characters so fully fleshed and expressive, that you never even realize you aren't watching real actors. It is possible this is a result of the new technology created for this film (real time digital effects allowed Cameron to see the completed CGI characters on play back even as the human actors were still performing in front of him). It is possible this is a result of the story being so engaging you become too engrossed to notice. it is possible this is simply a result of the incredible improvements made in CGI abilities. Regardless, it is amazing. You are watching digitally rendered 15 ft tall, blue people walking around, flying on giant dragon-birds, and all you see are people. Stunning.

Avatar may not appeal to everyone because of the obvious science fiction theme, and that is a shame. It is a masterpiece of filmmaking, and the message contained is one everyone should be exposed to. This movie will change the way you see science fiction, the way you view CGI, and every movie made from now on.

Go see it.

3 comments:

Drumski said...

Should win an Oscar, and not just for best effects. Incredible. I might go see it again!

sarah said...

I agree w/ you! I thought the CGI was un-freaking-believable and Pandora was absolutely breathtaking.

I was a little put off by the overly obvious political agenda in the dialogue, more b/c I thought it could have been more subtle than b/c I disagree w/ the message.

lonek8 said...

sarah, I totally agree about the heavy handed message - I totally agree with it, but I still don't necessarily want it hammered down my throat. But subtlety has never been Cameron's strong suit.