Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Heart Sonya

Last night's So You Think You Can Dance was interesting. It started off so fast - they totally skipped over all the usual filler showing people picking their new partners and working with the choreographers, and it was a bit jarring. I usually only pay all that stuff the most minor attention, but it does serve as a great intro and set up and after 5 years you get into a rhythm and a routine and begin to expect it. So when it was absent I was all flustered and felt like everything was going too fast, I don't know who is paired with who, what's happeneing they're just dancing already? Whoa. But then we had the first solo, and with it a little vignette on the dancer, and a new rhythm was restored. A much better rhythm. I love when we get to this poitn and there are still a lot of people in the competition, but they are all dancing two pieces together and a solo, because you lose the blah blah blabbing and have lots of great dancing. Last night was no exception. There were several pieces I really liked, but one stood apart, not only from last night's performances, but from all performances. Sonya is a choreographer that you either love or hate - her style is very unique. I happen to love her, but I think anyone can appreciate the artistry in this dance. Oh, and Ellenore and Jakob are no slouches either.

1 comment:

gellybelly said...

I agree that Sonja is an awesome choreographer! So glad SYTYCD has been show casing her talents often. I'd like to see more of Wade Robson's work as well.