Friday, January 29, 2010

I Heart Pixar

For making movies for children, while also keeping in mind that their PARENTS watch them - honestly, I think some studios think three year olds go to movies alone. Most likely they just figure parents HAVE to go so whether they enjoy it doesn't matter, but let me tell you - I won't take my kids to a movie that doesn't appeal to me (see: why my husband took Izzy to Princess and the Frog), and I DEFINITELY won't buy the DVD for repeated viewing.

For taking groundbreaking animation, and coupling it with A STORY - we just got the original Snow White on DVD, and holy smokes is it boring. I realize that it was a huge deal at the time bceause the animation was so amazing (and indeed it is beautiful), but would it have killed them to work the plot a little better? I mean, it's a classic for a reason, and that reason ain't Snow White dancing around with the dwarves. They waste all this time on nothing scenes, and then it's like, BOOM, the queen falls off a cliff (?), and BOOM Snow White is in her glass coffin and BOOM, the prince shows up kisses her (how'd he know to do that?) ands whisks her away with nary a word of thanks. Way to stretch out the inanity and skip all the action, Disney. Plus, Snow White never even MEETS the prince in the beginning! She's out washing rocks and he comes by and she runs away. I don't think he even saw her which makes the whole, looking and looking for her until he finds her in the glass coffin (not covered in the movie BTW) somewhat less plausible.

For giving the characters the voices that suit them, whether it is a big name or not- did Craig T nelson put butts in the seats for the Incredibles? Probably not. but he was perfection. Whoever did Snow White's voice (sooooo, too lazy to look that up) was screechy beyond tolerance. And Sleeping Beauty sounds 45 when she sings. Which is creepy seeing as she's repeatedly announced to be 16 (and getting married, ick).

For always making your DVDs available for sale (although this will probably change since Disney owns you now) - Disney movies are kept in a "vault" and only released every few years. Supposedly this makes them collectors items or something, but really it is just a reason to charge $30 for them. And while typically I can't argue with the Disney machine's business acumen, this one if a real mistake, and I'll tell you why. The first reason is, my kids are into these movies NOW. And if i want to buy them, I'm going to - whether that ir through an established vendor or a used version off Ebay. If they are for sale now, Disney gets my money - if they're not, Disney doesn't. Cause I'm not buying those movies later - once my kids are over, we're over it. Delaying release just means you miss the boat on my cash. 2) when my kids love a movie we watch it. DAILY. And often break it or wear it out or lose it or need an extra copy for grandma's house. Which means, that even if a movie had been out in special release, once it's gone I can't replace it if needed. Again, missed revenue, Disney. We have so far bought two copies of The Incredibles (maybe 3, can't remember), and we need a new copy of Ratatouille. And probably Cars pretty soon given the current watch rate. That is money that is spent in my mind (nothing like a distraught kid demanding a movie you know is broken), and if they aren't available, do you know how upset I my kids will be? nothing pisses off mama bear like not being able to provide for her cubs (and yes, I am aware of the ridiculousnes of comparing a DVD to basic necessities. We can discuss materialism later). In short, Disney, you better rethink your "vault" strategy, because the way I figure it, if I could have I'd already have bought Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin (which I had to buy at Timeless Disney because it wasn't available), Mulan and Fantasia. That's over $100 at the prices you charge that you have missed out on. By contrast, we have bought every single Pixar movie (sometimes twice). And that's just our family. There are a million other little boys and girls out there who, by the time you decide to honor us with the ability to purchase your classics, will have grown up and out of even wanting them. Something to think about.

So keep up the good work, Pixar! Try to shake off the shackles of Disney DVD release rules, and maintain your current level of wonderous achievement. We'll be in line for every movie and each new title will be added to our collection poste haste.

ps: yay for Toy Story 3! Now please make a sequel to The Incredibles!

2 comments:

BBL Jr said...

Washing rocks??
What do the peons do?

lonek8 said...

she's actually scrubbing the paving stones around the well - but, um, still. Rocks.