Thursday, February 19, 2009

American Idol - The Votes

Last night watching the results for the first twelve contestants I wasn't so sure about the new voting system - it seemed to have pros and cons. After thinking about it however, I think I have to say that I don't like it. Yes, it does eliminate the seemingly endless weeks of results shows where they ever so slowly kick of people two by two. And I suppose it will prevent such travesties (travestys? neither looks right) as the Sanjaya debacle, where an obviously sub par singer keeps getting advanced because of their popularity (although it didn't preven the judges from putting Bikini Girl through to Hollywood despite her sucking, so I guess that issue only applies to us stupid non-experts). But isn't this supposed to be about America's choice? If we want to pick someone because of personality over singing ability than we should be able to do that - Britney Spears made a pretty good career off of just that principle. Besides these factors, I feel that this new voting system offers a huge disadvantage to every contestant who wasn't extensively showcased during the audition process. One song is not enough to allow the voters to really know each contestant and vote for their favorite - it seems really unfair to expect each singer to adequately showcase not only their ability, but their potential and their charms with only one song. having several weeks of voting allows the audience to really see who is improving as well as get to know each hopeful better and determine who they like. I was certainly happy with the choices made last night for the three advancing to the top twelve, but there were at least four other people I was sad to see the last of - I would have liked to hear them sing a few more times to watch them develop as performers. And to be honest, I'm not sure that everyone voted into the top twelve would make it given a few more weeks. So all in all I'm pretty disappointed with the new voting system - I don't think that we sholud go back to the endless weeks of eliminating people in pairs, but one or two more chances would level the playing field a little better and give America a better chance to judge and decide who is truly the most deserving. But heck, Tatiana was eliminated so I guess I really can't be too picky.

No comments: