Wednesday, February 18, 2009

American Idol - The First 12

Jackie Tohn - really great original performance - but what was she wearing? It was like the top half of a really cute dress paired with spandex aerobic pants and sneakers. Not a look most people can pull off. Or would even want to.
Rick Braddy - I guess he had a decent voice, but man was he boring. The song was blah, his performance was very ‘dim lit piano bar’, and his velvet blazer looked like a smoking jacket adding a weird smarmy aspect to it. But the judges liked it so what do I know.
Alexis Grace - Maybe not the best vocals ever (who can really do Aretha anyway?) but pretty damn good. And she had a really cool vibe going on - very slinky cabaret with a little bit of attitude thrown in by the pink streaks in her hair.
Brent Keith - Very karaoke-ish. That’s really all I have to say - I don’t expect to see him around for long.
Stevie Wright - Oh dear God, please don’t let her sing again! This was also like karaoke - bad karaoke. Almost painful to watch and definitely painful to listen to.
Anoop Desai - I don’t know if this was really a show stopping performance, but I like this guy. He reminds me of Kal Penn (Kutner on House).
Casey Carlson - Decent performance, but she doesn’t have the voice to win. However, she is really pretty, so she will probably be around for awhile.
Michael Sarver - I didn’t love his performance, but I don’t really like that song so I’m not really a good judge. But I like this guy so I agree with the judges when they say they hope he gets to stick around.
Ann Marie Boskovich - I feel like she sang well but there was no connection somehow. I can’t really explain what was missing, but it seemed like I should have really been moved by her performance and I wasn’t so there was a lack somewhere.
Stephen Fowler - Was this out of key the whole time? Seemed like it to me.
Tatiana Del Toro - She wore a mini dress with mismatched tulle attached to the bottom to the initial audition, which demonstrated her total lunacy from the beginning. She was almost unbearably obnoxious during Hollywood week which pretty much eliminated any chance I would ever like her (A+ to Simon for labeling her (accurately) a fame hungry drama queen). So I’m sorry to say she didn’t totally suck too badly, not that she was good. And man, did she pork up between Hollywood week and last night? Wow. Not that weight is an issue to the competition, but honestly, if you know you are going to be on national television in a few months, do you pack it on?
Danny Gokey - This guy’s wife died - how can you not want to vote for him? Oh, and he sings pretty great too.

PS: was Neil Patrick Harris was sitting next to Ted Danson in the audience? Are they friends? Do they hang out or was it all coincidence? Strange
PPS: How sweet does X-Men Origins: Wolverine look? I could have cared less when I heard they were making it - I figured I’d see it at some point because I saw the other X-Men movies, but the previews look really good, so now I am actually anticipating it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula Abdul won't be back! http://pinoytopics.com/tv/paula-abdul-won't-be-back-on-american-idol/