Thursday, February 26, 2009

American Idol - The Second Group Of 12

Jasmine Murray - I remember her as being one of the strongest singers during Hollywood week. She didn’t sound that great this week to me. I think the song was in too low a key for her to really give it her best.
Matt Giraud - very average. Not a particularly good performance, and I don’t remember him at all from Hollywood week, so he’s probably gone.
Jeanine Vailes - Oh good God - a sequined tuxedo jacket with rolled up Daisy Dukes? No, no - not a good choice. She looked like she was attending a formal backyard barbecue. And the singing was worse.
Nick Mitchell aka Norman Gentle - I really don’t know what to say about this guy. I will admit that his alter ego is amusing to a point, but when he is in character he doesn’t sing all that well, as opposed to the one moment in the initial audition when he showed he actually has a nice voice. Given that this is a one in a lifetime chance, I don’t see why he can’t just drop the persona a little bit and really show his talent.
Allison Iraheta - Finally, a good singer. She picked a good song for her voice (and look), and she gave an entertaining, honest performance.
Kris Allen - Bad first note, boring performance, never seen him before as far as I can remember - he’s gone.
Megan Joy Corkrey - One of the most beautiful contestants ever, and she has a nice voice too. Her little hip shimmy and wiggling was a bit odd, but in an endearing way. And she was dressed like an 8 year old on the first day of school - but it worked. I liked her. Also pretty much the only one who sang the right song.
Matt Breitzke - First guy to actually have a chance. He has a tough guy vibe, and despite the judge’s opinion I thought he sang a nice rockin’ song that fit him.
Jesse Langseth - Eh. I think she sang well, but I just wasn’t reall interested by this performance. I can’t put my finger on what it was missing, but it was something.
Kai Kalama - Nice singer, and a good looking guy, but he has got to get a grip on his hair. ‘Fro it out or cut it off dude, cause right now it is just unkempt and crazy and you kind of look like a mugger.
Mishavonna Henson - She started like she was in pain, and then spent the rest of the time looking vaguely angry at the camera. And it may be mean to say, but she had a piggy nose that was really distracting to me. Not that that should have any bearing on whether or not she advances. I’m just saying.
Adam Lambert - Great performer - and he should be since he has worked in shows like Wicked. This was a little overdone, and his voice paid the price - he can really sing but he didn’t sound so good last night - very affected and almost screechy at times.
So this is where the new voting starts to show how unfair it is - there were at least 4 people eliminated last week who deserved to be around longer than almost anyone in this group. Make the voting fair, or split the groups better.
By the way - this was a two hour show that I taped and watched in 38 minutes by skipping all the filler. Way to waste our time, Fox.

No comments: