Monday, June 16, 2008

Nintendo x 3 : Decent, Dumb and Tacky

I want to talk about the new commercials for the Nintendo handheld "isn't called a Gameboy anymore but I don't know the new name so I'm calling it a Gameboy" gaming system. In general these ads are fine, but I have a couple of issues. First, I like the one with Liv Tyler. She is playing BrainAge, and I like that since she is basically my age (maybe a year older) and I like to do puzzles and stuff whenever possible to keep my mind agile and hopefully push back my inevitable decline into senility. So that one is good. The one with Carrie Underwood however, has a problem. That game she is "playing" is so ridiculously stupid I can't even stand it. Seriously, she is petting and washing a picture of a dog on her gameboy. And she has a REAL dog sitting with her. What is that about? I like animals and all, but I'm not particularly sure where the appeal is of pretending to wash a digital dog with a stylus on an electronic apparatus. Dumb, and I feel sorry for Carrie that she is stuck with this game. The commercial with America Ferrara has a different issue. Her game is fine - she is playing some version of Super Mario Brothers - my issue is with her gameboy itself. This thing is metallic pink and has her name spelled on it in rhinestones. Cute, right? Well, no. Not particularly if you are twelve, and definitely not if you are 24.

by the way - while all of these ads have varying levels of personal enjoyment for me, none of them makes me want the system. I do however totally want the Wii Fit. Cause if I don't exercise normally, I totally will with an expensive video game console and attachment, right/

2 comments:

Susan said...

It's the Nintendo DS. I agree with the Carrie Underwood ad (although I didn't know it was her until reading your post, but I did get that it was someone famous and I'm suppose to want a DS even more because Whoever-She-Was had one).

I can't speak to her as a person, but *I* would have demanded a different game. Who knows, maybe it's just her speed??

Game aside, I would like her tour bus!

Lsquared said...

I agree about that Carrie Underwood ad. Completely idiotic. But the Wii---gots to have it!