Monday, June 23, 2008

Fly The Exorbitant Skies

Apparently airlines (led by United) are planning to require minimum stays for any flights being purchased. This is bull. Have they forgotten that they are modes of transportation and not hotels? that is like a taxi driver refusing to pick you up until you have spent three hours at the party. Does it not occur to them that regardless of when, people who fly somewhere pretty much always need to go back at some point? I don't see how this solves the fuel issue at all. I mean, if I go to Chicago, I still need to come home whether it is the next day or the next week, and I'm thinking that me staying over for more days doesn't change the amount of gas used in hauling my butt back home. And the disadvantage to business travelers is completely ridiculous. Does a salesman deserve to miss out on time with his family just because his job requires travel and the asshat airlines are demanding he stays in Toledo over the weekend? If I worked at any sort of company where travel was involved I would immediately start implementing any changes possible (telecommunications for example) that would reduce if not eliminate all travel just to say "suck it" to the airlines. Oh yeah, and now they can charge you extra to check your bags, which you will have to do since you now need enough clothing for a three day stay. I get it, gas prices are going up. Just admit it and raise ticket prices - sneaking in all of these extra charges and inconvenient requirements just seems dishonest. Like they are trying to trick passengers with deceptively low rates and then planning on fleecing them later with all the extra fees. If they aren't going to respect my right to travel on my own time frame then they don't deserve my money. Good thing we can't afford a vacation - cause I have no interest in flying with any of these money grubbers anymore.

4 comments:

Lsquared said...

Speaking of airlines, I think the worst ads on tv are Jet Blue ads. I have to turn the channel when they come on.

gail said...

One of the latest hairbrained ideas that the airlines have come up with is charging $15 for the first CHECKED bag! Now absolutely everyone will be trying to stuff their carry-on luggage into the overhead bins to avoid paying the extra fee! Please, just add $15 to the ticket price. Can you imagine how much more time it is going to take to load and unload planes when everyone has carry on luggage,not to mention the longer waits in the security lines! UGH! Just about everyone who travels requires some sort of luggage. I liked the added fee for the second bag. The first bag should be assumed and just included in the ticket price.

lonek8 said...

exactly!! People who fly are going to have luggage - if you can't afford to carry it just raise ticket prices - don't try and let people cheat on the $15 by inconveniencing everyone else. If anything, they should let you check a bag free and then charge $15 if you bring a suitcase on the plane.
ps - i haven't seen Jet blue ads or at least haven't noticed them - I'll keep an eye out

lonek8 said...

well said - I have no problem with Airlines trying to recoup the losses from increased fuel and operating costs. Everyone is feelng the repercussions of gas prices - look at the increase in prices at the grocery store - and while travellers aren't going to like it, they will understand if ticket prices go up. But adding in all these stupid little charges instead of just raising ticket prices is stupid and infuriating.