Friday, March 14, 2008

Water, Hold the Artificial Flavor

Propel Fit Water's new slogan is "how fit is your water?" and the commericals all feature people at the gym who are horrified to learn that they will have to do x amount more crunches or laps or whatever to burn off the calories in their sports drinks. Now, I definitely appreciate the message here - people often wonder why they continue to be overweight despite exercise and eating right because it is easy to disregard calories in drinks. And that's nice that Propel only has 25 calories per drink so it isn't as big a detriment to your diet. But seriously, what is wrong with plain water? It tastes like nothing, has no sodium or sugar, and has zero calories every time. Is it really that important to have something taste like raspberry? As someone currently trying to lose a few, I view every calorie as important, and I'm not about to waste any on something as stupid as flavored water. If you really can't stand water on its own squeeze a little lemon into it - it adds nothing but flavor and can be good for your digestion. As for me, plain water works just fine - the purpose is to hydrate my body not entertain my taste buds. They get enough stimulation from all the sugar I eat anyway (I'm still working on the whole 'eat right' part.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so tired of seeing soft drinks marketed as water. The FDA really needs to get some rules about what you can call "water." Once you put sweeteners in it, it's not water, it's a soft drink. To call it water is a con.

I'm partial to flavored seltzers, because I like the carbonation of sodas, but lately I have to be careful because the stores mix up the carbonated water seltzers with the artificial sweetener seltzers. Argh.

Drumski said...

I have drank water from the tap all my 36 years and seem to be plugging along alright. What peeves me is the amount of plastic wasted in manufacturing water bottles. There is no way that all these people recycle every last one of them.