Thursday, March 6, 2008

American David, I Mean, Idol

I have often said that until we get into the top ten the votes should be for who you want to leave rather than who you want to win. When there are so many contestants it is really hard to pick a favorite (or it is typically, hello David A), and people just end up casting vote after cancelled out vote for everyone they like. I would actually be inspired to vote more often if I could vote people off – last year I would have been rabidly dialing to get pig faced Melinda out of there (yeah, yeah, she was a great singer. Hated her anyway). I am now going to also say that there should be a limit on contestants with the same name – there are entirely too many Davids this year. America’s Next Top Model had two Amys this year and they made one of them adopt a nickname to clear up any confusion (she picked Amis, apparently because it sounds like Amy and is in the Bible. Um, okay) Now I’m not suggesting we go around giving everyone biblical monikers, just that maybe we suggest they go with middle names or something (you’d think they would want to – I’d be pissed if some other Kate got my votes cause some couch potato forgot my last name and dialed wrong). That said, here is my rundown on team David:

David A – Always the frontrunner, and he just keeps getting better and better. I can’t believe that he sings so well when his speaking voice is so hoarse. And now he’s playing the piano too? Everyone else should just concede now.
David H – apparently this guy was a stripper or something, well the Chippendale eyebrow was in full action Tuesday night and that is not a good thing. Not to mention, what the heck is a dude doing singing Celine Dion anyway?
David C – was actually really good. Good enough that I even started thinking his hair was looking better – and that’s saying something. (PS: did anyone see his sister? Same ‘do. Yikes!)

On the girls’ side, all I can say is there are some serious fashion disasters being committed this season. It’s like a regular What Not to Wear before-fest out there. If there are stylists working with them now they should be fired. If there aren’t, they must be tearing their hair out dying to get their hands on these girls next week. My comments:

Carly, Asia‘h – I believe we have had this discussion. Skinny jeans? And not just skinny jeans, but highwaisted skinny jeans? With form fitting tank tops? Have you forgotten that while you are quite cute you are not in fact 5’10”, 120 lb supermodels? Well then let me remind you – you are NORMAL people and normal people’s asses look huge in tapered pants.
Ramiele – Pairing a librarian cardigan with a sausage mini was not a wise choice - are you trying to make yourself look like a tree stump? Cause that’s not really a look that works on anyone.
Syesha – you actually have the model looks and body to pull off a cap sleeve mock turtleneck with dress shorts – just don’t pick satin. Wrinkles kind of set the whole polished look back a bit.

As for the results, well the only one I’m sure is leaving is Luke. I can’t pick any good bets on the other three. For my own desires, I wouldn’t mind seeing Asia’h go – her perkiness is beginning to move into deranged territory. Amanda is also probably in danger. I like her, but she really is a one trick pony – her voice is super cool but it sounds exactly the same in every song. And I wish David “Rico Suave” H would shove off; I find him supremely annoying.

No comments: