Friday, July 24, 2009

Back To Basic

I deeply love my DVR. It is probably the most fantastic thing I own , after my tv itself. Oooh, and my blackberry - I love me some crckberry too. But this is about my DVR. I am a fullblown tv addicit. If tv was like a real drug, I would not be a functioning addict, I would totally be the dirty, scabby, lying in doorways panhandling addict. It is hard for me to go an hour without the tv being on, unless I am absorbed in a good book. As a mom, with kids who actually expect to come out of their rooms occassionally I have accepted that my preferred viewing choices are not appropriate for them, and so I subject myself to Disney Channel during the day. But does that mean I have to miss my favorite shows? No, indeed it does not. Thanks to the magic of DVR I can record all of my favorites and remain free to put the kids to bed when they are actually tired instead of rushing to do it before House comes on. I can then watch at my leisure, with my only real concern being my bladder bursting because I FFWD the commercials instead of getting up to relieve myself. I can also, on occassion, even record something for the kids, which we will then watch over and over and over. And over. Basically DVR is god's gift to television loving mortals, and I am ever so grateful. Today, I had to give our DVR cable boxes back to the cable company to prepare for our move. This is acceptable because there are no shows I need to watch this weekend - in fact, I am free of 'must record' programming until Wednesday. But let me tell you, if my new system is not up and running by then, there will be some serious freaking out. because a girl needs her fix.