Saturday, October 20, 2007

Animating Science

I like how advertising companies try to fool the idiots watching by animating their commercials and trying to pass it off as a valid example of how their product works. A commerical for Scrubbing Bubbles: “Watch the science as the scrubbing bubbles clean away deep stains in minutes.” This of course is accompanied by animated scrubby bubbly brushes flying around a bathroom cleaning sinks and toilets. Cute, yes, science, no. My vote would be to keep the flying animated mascots and lose the voice over claim to science. Or else actually make your product clean the bathroom alone; that I would buy.
For that matter, it seems like any commercial for pain medication has a similar issue. Watch how fast the pain is relieved in our little drawing! Sorry, but how fast you can make little wavy red lines disappear from a cartoon’s head, back, stomach, etc is in now way related to how fast the actual medicine works.
I do however, enjoy the Nasonex bumble bee. He in no way makes me want to try the medicine, which I don't need anyway, but I like his accent and find the incongruity of a bee selling allergy medication amusing. People who are allergic to bees don’t get runny noses and watery eyes very often – shouldn’t he be selling epi pens?

No comments: