Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bulb-O-Rama

I don't usually like the ads where exceedingly stupid customers are helped by unbelievably patient and smiley sales people. The perfect example of this is an ad I have commented on before that has run the past two years, and which I hope will not be seen again. It's just not realistic. I mean, the stupid shoppers are a given, but sales people are never that chipper, and definitely not during the holidays when there are lines out the door. I am also not particularly fond of the whole super-over-decorating the outside of your house thing- it's not funny and it's definitely not cool. However, I have found an exception to these "rules", in a new ad for Ace Hardware, where a guy tells the sales girl santa that he wants his house to be a "bulb-o-rama" so that the astronauts in space look down and say "what's that? Oh, that's Bob's house." I find his gooberish enthusiasm appealing for some reason, and I find that this ad doesn't annoy me like most of the others do. I also really like the phrase bulbo-o-rama, and wish I had more reason to use it cause it's fun to say. As for the rest of this genre - how's about we see some ads where the stupid customers are helped by increasingly impatient salespeople who have better things to do than hand hold idiots. That would be more in keeping with the holiday shopping season.

No comments: