Monday, February 7, 2011

SuperBowl Ads Psuedo Wrap Up

I am not doing my usual analysis of the Super Bowl commercials this year, a decision I made a while ago based on the fact that it takes me several hours to do (I can't do it live because there are kids around here), meaning I am often up until Midnight or so watching my DVR of the game, making notes and blogging my opinions.  I just didn't feel like making that kind of effort this year, plus I'm a little under the weather and in general I'm trying to get to bed at an earlier time anyway.  So I was just going to watch as a spectator.

And then of course, I SAW the commercials, and wow am I ever glad I didn't devote a ton of time to analyzing this crap.  Was it just me or was this year especially lame in terms of the commercials?  I realize that a large portion of my disappointment is most likely due to the general increase in good commercials year round - overall ads have gotten funnier and more unpredictable in an attempt to fight the ever dominant DVR system.  But apparently that means ad companies have used up all of their creativity and wit before ever getting to the Super Bowl, because this year's crop was LAME.  Nothing especially clever, nothing especially funny, and there wasn't even a classic Budweiser Clydesdale commercial to make me cry (at least, there wasn't in the first 2/3 of the game before I went to bed).  Blah de blah blah.  So I am truly grateful that I didn't waste my considerable talent (heh) on any of these poor excuses for Super Bowl ads.  Let's do better next year, ok folks*?

I hereby present you with my favorite ad of the night:




And the runner up:





*also the Bears. No losing to the Packers next year!

No comments: