Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LOMGST*

Almost four years ago my husband and I decided that since we were going to be home every night with a baby, we might as well find out what the big deal was about this show called Lost. Why was it such a big deal? Why was everybody talking about it?

We rented the first season on DVD and popped one in. And we were hooked. We watched the entire first season in just a few days, watching episode after episode until we couldn't stay awake any longer. It was awesome. Season 2 quickly followed and then, BAM! We were stuck, waiting and watching as the story unfolded in tiny snippets one week at a time.

That sucked. The cliffhangers! The teasers! Such frustration and demand for more more more!

Of any show, Lost is definitely meant to be viewed on DVD in marathon sessions when every nuance and secret and foreshadow can be retained in our all to brief and cluttered memories. But we stuck with it - all through seasons 3 and 4. The addiction and curiosity of where it was all going and how it could possibly wrap up were too strong to wait months and months for the DVDs to be released when we could at least get our fix on a weekly basis.

But then, in the fall of 2008 my husband up and moved away (yeah it was for a job and to start making us a bette rlife, whatever). And it just didn't feel right watching alone. So the episodes stacked up on my DVR, waiting hopefully for a weekend visit when we could sit down and watch an episode or two or five. Never happened.

So I put it on our Netflix queue,and because I never pay any attention to what is coming up, the first two discs arrived in the mail.

Months ago.

And they sat, neglected once more, until Saturday night when we finally had the urge to put one in. One episode later, my husband was headed to bed.

But I'll tell you, never underestimate the power of the magnetism of Lost. I was immediately sucked back in to the addiction, and full speed ahead I plowed through the first and second disc, and then joyfully discovered that the remaingin three discs were available for instant viewing online so my thirst for all things Lost would not have to wait for anything so silly as the postal service.

By Sunday night I had watched all of season 5.

I got caught up on the first four episodes of season 6 this afternoon, and now I sit. Waiting for the next episode to air, live, in 20 minutes.

Once again I am forced to wait while the network doles out my weekly hit in carefully measured, calculated doses.

But I don't care. I must know what happens. I must know how this all turns out, what the endgame is, how the writers have planned to end this ever since they started 6 years ago. And I am kind of glad I get to experience it live now. In real time with the rest of the world (all of whom are discussing it on Twitter every Tues - if nothing else I'm eliminating the risk of spoilers). I'm all caught up and I've been sucked back in.

I'm Lost.

*title is a commonly seen Twitter hashtag on Tuesday nights. Contraction of OMG Lost!!!**

**my bet is the only person who cares about the first * note is my mom

3 comments:

Lsquared said...

Never got into it, or 24. My new guilty pleasure is RuPaul's Drag Race. It is the drag queen equivalent of Top Chef or Project Runway. Hilarious! And these queens are gorgeous...

lonek8 said...

I have never, and will never watch 24. I also won't get into all of my issues with it here.

I also haven't watched Rupaul's Drag Race, but only because I have never seen it in my lineup. What channel is it on and when? It sounds awesome, not that I need another guilty tv pleasure!

Lsquared said...

RuPaul is on Logo. Maybe you don't get that channel.