Tuesday, March 10, 2009

This Castle May Not Sink Into The Swamp - Yet

There are two reasons I will watch Castle a few mores times. I watched it the first time because I like Nathan Fillion, and there was nothing else on, which overrode the fact that I had previously decided I wasn't interested (despite said love of nathan Fillion) because the previews looked vaguely lame. But I think I will give a few weeks to grow on me now for couple of things that were in the preview. The first was a scene between the main character and his daughter. They were having a perfectly normal conversation where he was explaining why the police had talked to him, but instead of wlaking together down the hallway, he was playfully pushing her so her socks slid her along the hardwood floor. To me this was such a natural scene of what a happy father daughter relationship is like, and in a small way it indicates an interest in portraying realistic characters. The rest of the character interaction was fairly typical and predictable, but this little glimpse showed promise to me. The second reason is that Fillions' character is a famous bestselling muder mystery author, and he plays in what is presumably a regular poker game with other famous authors - who are played by Steven J Cannell and James Patterson. And that may show just an insider conceit by the shows producers, but I choose to believe that it indicates a little reward to any viewers who may be fans of the genre the main character writes in. And since I am a fan of both the genre and insider jokes that I actually get, I will give this show a few more chances to really win me over. Although part of me hopes it fails because what I really want I Nathan Fillion working with Joss Whedon again - a role on Dollhouse perhaps?

No comments: