Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Ghost Writer

This movie could have been really great. Nice cast (Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Olivia Williams) decent plot (a ghostwriter for the former British Prime Minister gets caught up in intrigue) - it could have been a nice bit of thriller. But instead it just kind of settled for going nowhere. There were no clues, no unraveling of secrets or twists, just lots of bleak, colorless scenery which was meant to be sinister but struck me more as morose.

Did the movies suck? No. I certainly did not spend the two hours in the theater wishing I was elsewhere, but neither was I riveted and energized by the snail's pace of the story telling and the depressed, introverted characters.

Best line of the movie: "They can't drown two ghost writers. They're not kittens."

Best scene in the movie: the very. last. one. And honestly, that scene alone is worth watching the whole movie for because while I may have not felt excited or enthralled during the movie, I sure felt that way leaving. (because of the last scene, not because it was finally over, haha)

Basically, it was a movie with a lot of potential that someone just got lazy about. I would imagine that it is hard to write a good twisty, thrilling screenplay, and clearly the people involved in this film not only agreed, but found it unnecessary. It's too bad.

ps: this film is by Roman Polanski, so if you do want to see it, please try your best to do it for free. That depraved fugitive doesn't deserve a single red cent or glimmer of recognition as anything other than a criminal and pervert. Hollywood should be ashamed that they continue to work with him or recognize his work in anyway, but then they never have been too big on morality. As for me, I am embarrassed to say I paid $2 to see this movie in a theater. I can only hope that the theater owners get most of that rather than it contributing to a child molester's evasion of justice.

No comments: