Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Few Of My Favorite Things*

I may be a stay at home mom, and I may wear yoga pants a t-shirts all day long, but I still like to look nice, and so I pretty much always have on makeup. Seriously, I may not brush my hair, but you can bet I've got on my mascara! And I do feel a little silly applying foundation and the whole shebang on days when I don't even leave the house, but I have always been skeptical about that old fashion mag advice staple "just dot concealer on your trouble areas and go." For me, that seemed to just result in looking like I had small dots of makeup on my face - making me blotchier and weirder looking. I preferred using a light foundation (I use Chanel Teint Innocence in Cameo) to even everything out, and I never felt that I looked like I had "pancake face." but then I found:
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Concealer w/ SPF 20 (Light)

This really works wonderfully. I just use a tiny brush to dot it on and then cover it with the included powder and it really works. It is weird having a totally naked face, but I really like it for days I'm not going anywhere but don't want to look so tired and blotchy when I catch sight of myself in the mirror. Anyway, I thought it was so awesome, I just had to tell everyone about it, and then I figured I should maybe let you know what other products I can't live without too.
To add to the whole "I just look this great even without makeup" illusion, I use this:
Tarte Cheek Stain (Blushing Bride)

Just dab it on, rub in a little bit and it looks like you are flushing naturally - not like wearing blush at all. Works really well on top of foundation or under powder too - I think it has the most natural, subtle finish to it. In the winter it adds a bit of dewiness to drier skin, and in the summer I just put a little powder on top in case it feels sticky. Plus, I've been using it daily for 5+ years and I'm still on my first tube!
My other mainstay is this lipstick:
Revlon ColoStay Overtime Lipcolor (Timeless Nude)

I feel there is such a difference in how polished you look wearing even a nude lipstick compared to totally bare lips, and I like how no fuss the long lasting lipsticks are. I drink water constantly, and I hate having gunky lipstick residue on my bottles - chapstick is bad ebough, but when it's colored too? Gross. I have tried all teh brands before and they all work about the same. I prefer this one because this shade is the best true nude I've found- it matches my lips perfectly, and it lasts all day so I can just apply it once and then I use chapstick or gloss on top the rest of the day to keep my lips moist (I like that slick feeling and am a total lipbalm addict. My old reliable is plain vaseline). With a slick of gloss (I like Dior Addict for a really glassy, not too sticky, shine) I get that perfect nude 'Victoria Beckham' lip, and it makes me feel all sophisticated and stylish, even though I'm totally not.
The only other thing I apply everyday is mascara. I like a really black mascara, and I stick with L'Oreal or Lancome, but honestly, I will wear almost any brand except Maybelline which I have had allergic reactions to. On days i'm feeling extra sassy I will also use this:
Stila Kajal Eyeliner (Onyx, Smokey Quartz, Sapphire, or Amethyst)

This is the smoothest eyeliner I have ever found, Super easy to apply (I like to do the inner rims of my lower eyelids and this does it without any tugging at all), and it blends really well. I've also found that it wears down during the day without running all over your face which is nice. The first time I wore it was actually the day I found out I had to put my cat to sleep, and through all that crying I never had tracks down my face. For my upper lids (which I almost never line) I prefer to use a longer lasting formula that doesn't smudge or rub off so easily, but for daily use and on the gentle inner rims this is perfect. It is also probably awesome for smudging into a classic smokey eye, but I have never perfected that technique so I don't know for sure.
The final product I can't live without is:
Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Plus Intensive Repair Creme

This creme is so thick and moisturizing, and it has alpha hydroxy acids in it too, so it works as an exfoliator. I put it on my heels at night and it keeps them from getting dry and cracked and callousy. Saves time and money on pedicures! It also works really nicely the few times I have gotten eczema from allergic reactions - so far it is the only thing I have found I can apply to these rashes on my face without making it worse. It actually heal the spots faster and take the redness away.


*none of these comments were sponsored or compensated in anyway. Each of these items I found doing my own research (ie, seeing an ad, random guesswork and/or reading fashion magazines), and bought with my own money. And of course, you just have to take my word for it that they work great - for all you know I'm a hot mess. Infact, you may have seen photos, in which case you KNOW I'm a hot mess. hehe

3 comments:

Lsquared said...

Wow. Great tips. I am going to try some of these.

BBL Jr said...

Glad to see you post over here again. I enjoy it when you are giving opinions. Must admit I enjoy it more when you are anti because you tend to be amusing about things. Plus i miss the commercial reviews and movie recommendations ever since you got that dvr gizmo.

lonek8 said...

I know. I think about that all the time too - I never see commercials anymore so I have nothing to complain about. I also spend a lot of time working on the other blog and then don't have any more time to come over here even when I have something to say. Twitter may also be stealing some of my comedy thunder in terms of complaints. So much easier to tweet 140 characters than come up with a WHOLE paragraph, jeesh. but I'm trying.